Monday, September 6, 2010

Trail to Bangsund Cabin



After my short jaunt to Rock Harbor Lighthouse, I retraced my steps nearly to Edisen Fishery, turned east and headed toward Bangsund Cabin.










The little note I found confirmed that I was on the right path to the summer home of Rolf & Candy Petersen! Rolf has played a major part in the Wolf-Moose Study of Isle Royale nearly since its inception in 1958 by Durward Allen of Purdue University. Rolf was then a student and after his mentor retired her assumed the role as head researcher! He is still actively involved 52 years into the study! Oh the data he and his fellow researchers collect!


Anyway, I found the trail much to my liking! Was shaded and mainly dirt surfaces :-) Made quite the nice driveway....er walkway to the cabin.







Littered on the ground were thousands of teeny tiny pine cones from spruce trees! They weren't quite as long as your pinky finger! They were so cute! Oh how I wished I could gather a few up and put them in my pack for my Christmas tree....I know...take NOTHING but pictures leave nothing but footprints....so I sighed and left them as they were. But only after I TOOK a photo!


All along the way the path had a few dozen markers that pointed out plants, flowers, nests, etc. that served to label them and provide a little information! I made sure to compliment the Peterson's on them when I arrived....apparently at Candy's suggestion Rolf made and placed these wonderful tidbits of info!

Peeking out from the trees onto Rock Harbor and Daisy Farm somewhere in the vicinity.







About 2/3 of the way down the path I came across another grave site! Supposedly sometime in the 1850's quite a few men from 2 separate mining camps engaged each other in a drunken brawl. The end result was the death of somewhere between 12-20 miners! So, they were buried here in a mass grave. The original fencing has long since decayed away and was replaced along with a sign by Rolf.



Finally I had made it to
Bangsund Cabin....and passed one of their "vehicles" in the "driveway".
Too bad it wasn't sunset!








Once at the Peterson's home site, the signs continued! I suppose in case they aren't there to greet visitors, or for people like me so I don't have to jot down facts to put in my journal and can just snap a photo!















And voila! Bangsund Cabin! Summer home of Rolf & Candy. But the real interesting part is the surrounding area which holds the "summer mooseum" of the treasures of all things moose and an area to clean newly found carcasses and bones to aid in their research!

No comments:

Post a Comment