Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hike..Passage Island



After a bit of a rough boat ride we
made it across to Passage Island which is the farthest piece of land composing Isle Royale National Park. We tied up at the dock and 5 of the 10 aboard went ashore for the 1 mile hike to the lighthouse (1 mile each way of course). The hike really wasn't that bad and there was really only 1 part that was quite steep that you had
to be mindful of your footing and go slowly. For some reason, the moose do not swim over to Passage Island, perhaps because it is about 3-5 miles away from the mainland, and maybe they can't see that far and don't know its there! The shade is great for finding mushrooms and other fungi!










This one is called Fly Agaric,you can see a smaller one just behind and to the left of it about 9 o'clock. From what I read if you crush it and mix it with milk it will kill flies...hence its name.


As interesting as Devil's Club might be....do NOT get too close! The undersides of the leaves and the stems have more needle-like projections than you can count! It is apparently mainly found on the western Pacific states but somehow made its way to Passage Island. A man in the group said that a few pharmaceutical companies are doing
research on the plant for treatment of various diseases including diabetes. I have not heard this but haven't had time to adequately research it yet...perhaps this winter.
I just know that I would HATE to fall into one of these!!!


At last we had crested the steepest part and the view did not disappoint!








This area is just to the northeast of the lighthouse....you can see the basalt protruding up from the water. More than 1 boat had stuck this reef at one time or another. There are many shipwrecks in the waters surrounding Isle Royale and they too are included in the National Park. They park extends I believe 5 miles past all points of land and all are
open for diving by qualified persons.
I guess I never thought of fresh water scuba diving...one of my goals is to be dive certified but I had always imagined diving in tropical waters in search of colorful fish!


A freighter was in the area....but stayed far away from the dangers of the reef, I believe the light shadows in the background are of Ontario as I remember looking northward.




Looking down from a location near the lighthouse.



Close-up of Grandfather's Beard lichen.






Though you might think this is another mushroom, it is actually a plant! Indian-Pipe is a flower that does not contain chlorophyll, so instead of obtaining energy from the sunlight and chemical reactions, it "obtains nourishment through mycorrhizal fungi that are connected to nearby tree roots".






We really weren't able to identify these tall blue flowers...they had a brilliant purple-blueish hue!







Found more green pyrola. Such tiny flowers!
I could have lingered on Passage Island all day exploring rocks and flowers and fungi....but unfortunately we had to get back to the boat on the double and I was told to pick up the pace as Captain Ron would be anxious to get back especially with
the lake being rough today. I reluctantly turned off my camera and picked up the pace, they don't come back here until Monday and....I really wouldn't want to be stranded for 3 days....and I had to be to work Monday morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment