Thursday, September 16, 2010

To Lookout Louise We go...

After patching myself up from the
knife wound...I had to hustle down to the dock so I wouldn't be left behind for the trip across Tobin Harbor to Lookout Louise. But I did stop for a quick moment to check out the American Black Ducks taking a snooze! Nearly every day I have seen them on the beach in Snug Harbor but I hadn't gotten this close before!
We were soon underway with everyone asking questions about my duct taped hand. Derek called me "tough as nails"....personally I would call me stupid as $&*! but maybe he was just trying to be encouraging. I'd come here to see this national park and damn it...a gash in my hand was NOT going to stop me! A big thank you to the inventor of duct tape! Here we are motoring past my lodge...I was on the top floor, 3rd from the left.Thankfully you can't see my sweaty clothes drying in front of the open window!
Within a few minutes we rounded Scoville Point to enter Tobin Harbor. I would hike out to here later today. From the water I could definitely get more of a sense of the geology of the island. The old lava pushing up and sloping toward the water, and continually raising up in stages.









Rounding Scoville Point.









These were my first loons I was able to even get somewhat close enough to photograph. Oh, how I wished I was in a kayak and able to approach them a little closer! I will return someday....after I have mastered kayaking though!

There are many older buildings on the island, leftover from the fishing industry decades ago. I'm not sure how much longer this one will stand! I have a feeling that because of the National Park status that the buildings can only be maintained, not improved...but I'm not sure. On a hike on Passage Island the granddaughter of a previous resident informed me that the structures are now part of the Historic Trust. She was deeded the homestead and still returns every year! How lucky to have spent summers here as a child and still come yearly decades later!
Near the dock were 2 seemingly abandoned canoes, I crossed paths with the owners as they were descending the trail just as we were starting. They had gotten a very early start and were on their way back!



No comments:

Post a Comment