Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sunrise...Rock Harbor


The predicted nastiness never fully materialized last night and only has come rain and waves....no hail or strong winds thank God! I had been worried about the true campers on the island! I awoke at 5:15am to clear skies and decided to pack up and head about 1/8 mile down a rocky trail to an opening I thought would be a perfect sunrise spot. Even though I only had the light of the full moon and a small flashlight I did ok and didn't durf it once! I couldn't resist one more full moon picture either!






Pretty soon, the colors on the horizon started to change and lighten...it was only at this time I realized the sun was coming up behind the trees and not in the opening over the water where I had hoped....I realized the perfect spot would be at the end of Scoville Point but...me + 2 miles of uneven rocky & rooty trails + darkness + tripod = disastrous fall. Had the trails been what I am accustomed to...I would have gone for it.









The morning light illuminated lots of lichen on the surrounding rocks.







Shortly after 6:30 the sun peeked out from the trees and the ducks and loons started to arrive and fish and the squirrels awoke and started chattering all around....time to head back and get some breakfast before today's excursion on the Sandy for a long hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment