Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hanging Out in Rock Harbor


Finally, a day I could sleep in! A rarity on my vacations. Since I didn't have anything planned until an early afternoon jaunt to Passage Island I started to pack for the journey back to Copper Harbor tomorrow then decided I'd had enough of that. So, I found a nice quiet spot on a deck behind the lodge offices where I had a great view of the lake and some nearby loons. Between the daydreaming I did find some time to write out some postcards....but I know of at least 2 that didn't make it to their destinations....are they still in this box?


Nearby....some fireweed.








After mailing the postcards and lunch, I changed spots and found a nice bench near the water. Again I just pretty much daydreamed and people watched. These folks were readying their kayaks with all sorts of gear for camping...after quite a bit of packing gear and arguing, they did
get underway and paddled off toward Daisy Farm way...

Several were wandering around and setting out for the back country...I'm not sure I can do this without a Sherpa...I need more stuff than what they are carrying...or I need to learn to pack lighter. I followed them to the NPS office to peruse their bookstore and found several items that I just couldn't live without...mostly books.

Back to the bench I went....but this time I had entertainment! 3 Red-Breasted Mergansers had arrived and were in search of some lunch! I watched them dive over and over for fish.

















...a little ways down the Black ducks were back in their usual spot for an early afternoon nap.








Too hot for napping...several of the locals cooled off in the lake! Some were pushed...some voluntarily jumped into the coolness. They looked like they were having a bit of fun not to mention cooling off!

No comments:

Post a Comment