Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Scoville Point



Sensing that I was near the end of Stoll Trail I bounded up this last small climb....would this be the end??? or just another "close to the end its a bit further" section..











I could see water on both sides...so I figured this was probably it....










Yep...definitely a point! And I did find a bronze marker honoring Albert Stoll Jr. It said the Albert Stoll Memorial Trail was dedicated to his memory as he was a conservation editor for the Detroit News from 1923 to 1952 and his untiring efforts made it possible for the preservation of Isle Royale as a National Park...Thanks Mr. Stoll!!!

As I got closer to the point I noticed that water from rain or from spray in rough storms would collect in the pockets between the rocks...I didn't seem to notice anything in them...






I was fortunate enough that the father & son I met earlier while picking blueberries also happened to reach Scoville Point about the same time! I asked the son to take my photo...I didn't dare back up any further!


Looking to the east you an definitely see how the lava flowed out and the island was formed.
I stopped for a few more moments as 4 kayakers were rounding Scoville Point...they were definitely experienced and made it look so easy!



It was after 5 and I needed to start heading back...not that I had anywhere to be, but I wanted to make it back to Rock Harbor before the marina closed at 8....I could hear ice cream calling my name!



No comments:

Post a Comment