Thursday, September 16, 2010

...And It Cuts Like a Knife...DUH!

I will warn those with a weak stomach not to read this entry! For those of you that know me personally.....this will not come as a huge surprise. In preparation for my adventure I needed to get some new equipment and replace a few things that I had either lost or misplaced, or at the time was determined that TSA had confiscated it from my checked luggage on my last vacation. Unable to locate my knife I had to purchase a brand new knife. The selection was either too big or too small...none were just right, so I decided like with all purchases bigger is definitely better, or you will regret it later. So I selected a nice 3" long blade that is 3/4" wide that also has a saw and can opener. Nice attachments I thought.
I was still nursing along a blister on my heel from the profuse sweating on Monday and Thursday morning after awakening and stretching my tight calves for 15 minutes after the long hike yesterday I needed to cut some more moleskin to cover the blister. This is where I learned Rules #2 & 3....always pack a pair of scissors, and never use a knife for what you can do with scissors!
After cutting the appropriate size pieces, I attempted to close the knife. Somehow the blade locked and my right hand kept going and I made a nearly 3/4" long gash on my palm just below the the joint on my middle finger. OUCH! (however that's not the word I used at the time). I found it rather difficult to control the bleeding, even with pressure....that's when I remembered my first aid kit I prepared! Scrub scrub scrub with soap...then douse it with vodka (a patient had told me to always carry a few bottles of "airplane sized" vodka for scrapes and cuts)...I figure I must have severed a nerve because I never flinched from start to finish. Then out came a little packed of powder I purchased years ago at Cabella's to stop bleeding and clot! Tap tap tap...out flowed the powder into the gaping wound, and after applying pressure....it stopped!!! YAY! Now, being that it was at least 1/8 if not 1/4" deep I probably should have sought medical attention and got sutured up....ummmm...no hospital here, its 8am, the ferry wouldn't leave until nearly 3, arrive in Copper Harbor at 6...1 hour drive to Houghton. Too long, it would be too late. I'm sure if it was a really bad situation one could be transported out on a medivac..this wasn't that bad....a ranger could render first aid maybe....but I figured unless they were an expert suturer I'd be better off on my own. So, being all sterilized I put on some gauze and paper tape. Not really too secure...but I had to be at the dock for my 9am trip to Lookout Louise! I had originally planned on hiking back to Rock Harbor via the Greenstone but, after yesterday 10 miles today would be a lot...and with the right hand out of commission...no way, but I still wanted to at least do the 2 mile hike up to the ridge! I did the best I could and when I boarded I had a brainstorm! After explaining to Captain Ron and Derek what I managed to do to myself, I asked for some duct tape! That would allow me to get the edges closer together so they could start to close up and also provide support so the wound wouldn't rip further and I could still manage to wrap my hand around my hiking pole! It worked like a charm! I just had to remember not to lift anything with my right hand so it wouldn't pull on the cut.

Here's the progress 1 week later!
Being prone to infection for the next 3 weeks I followed the twice daily ritual of scrubbing, vodka and antibiotic ointment, gauze and duct tape. This raised lots of interesting questions upon my return to work....oh well...I didn't let it stop me...I just found different ways of doing my usual tasks! And several folks informed me of the benefits of using superglue in situations like this, who knew! I assure you, my first aid kit now contains scissors and super glue! And my knife....I think its defective...a nice man on the island was able to finally close it for me...it took him nearly 10 minutes! And just last week I found my old knife (the one I was sure TSA took) behind my stove!? Anyway, I'm all healed up and as you can see to the left of the arrow there's hardly a scar and my hand functions just fine (sometimes it feels a little tight...probably scar tissue)! I guess I can patch myself up pretty good! Hopefully I will never need the superglue or duct tape to patch myself up again!

No comments:

Post a Comment