Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Scoville Point back to Rock Harbor

I chose to return to Rock Harbor
taking the Tobin Harbor Trail from Scoville Point. Rock Harbor Trail is..well..very rocky! The Tobin Harbor side is much more a traditional hike....lots of shade, nice dirt path, some roots and only occasional rocky surfaces, and quite peaceful!





Even though I was still on the lookout for moose and wolves...I sill found an abundance of mushrooms!







This may be a Chanterelle mushroom but I'm not quite sure. It is supposed to be like a bowl or vase!








And I found them on trees....









As I neared this opening, the calls of a loon became louder! Yay! As I scanned the water for the loon I noticed the felled trees in the water and became aware of how clear the water here is!
A few hundred feet down the trail I spotted the loon cruising back and forth in a little cove, occasionally calling out to welcome me.





I longed to be in a kayak to get the close picture that I had hoped for...but my zoom lens would just have to do....for now.








After fighting my way back thru the brush and onto the trail I noticed a tiny feather had been deposited on a nearby branch. It just sort of rested there, waiting for a stronger breeze to blow it to another location.


I then heard and spotted the animal that I am sure everyone that comes to Isle Royale sees......or at least hears...the red squirrel! I can't tell you how many times these buggers have cussed me out and taunted me since I arrived. Everywhere I go..they chatter and then stare at you like you are an unwelcome guest! That is until you approach them closer, then they disappear instantly!
At least he (or she) stayed put long enough for me to get a photo of a live mammal on Isle Royale!






No comments:

Post a Comment