Sunday, September 18, 2011

Paddle...Les Cheneaux Islands

Feeling like the previous days sunrise couldn't be beaten, I decided to rest up and sleep in a bit, especially since the following day would be a VERY early one. After breakfast, I packed my lunch and gathered all of my paraphernalia that I would need until evening, then headed north on I 75 once again toward Hessel.

Les Cheneaux (meaning the channels in French) consists of 36 main islands that stretch across about 12 miles of shoreline near Hessel and Cedarville. There are several other smaller islands in addition to these 36 though.

I arrived early and at 10am and met guide Jay, as well as a family of 5 from Battle Creek who happened to pop in and asked if they could join us on the paddle, but requested only a few hours verses 7. I'm really not sure why everyone felt like they needed my approval, I really didn't care where we paddled, as long as I got out on the water all day I was a happy camper! So, 2 tandems and an additional single kayak and more gear was loaded onto the truck and away we went to the boat launch in Cedarville.

After orientation and stretching, we all were loaded into our respective kayaks and paddled off across the bay. It was perfect weather, a little overcast and not too hot, with just some small waves. The power boaters also thought it was a great day to be out on the water as I saw at least 6 beautiful wooden Chris Craft's! Seemed a perfect environment for them. Many of the islands of Les Cheneaux are populated with summer homes, only a few hardy soles stay for the winter here as only 2 of the islands are accessible by car. So, nearly everyone has a boat of some sort and a lovely boat house to go along with it. And quite a few of those boat houses were pretty spiffy in their own right!

Battle Creekers' Beverly and daughter Maria heading toward a point on one of the islands.
Then it was back across the open water again to start heading back to shore. The Battle Creekers' had only signed up for a 1/2 day tour as they needed to get back on the road and make it home by this evening.
But their departure would have to wait just a few more minutes, I spotted 16 Red Breasted Mergansers and I told Jay to keep going and that I would catch up, but I needed to have a "nature moment" first! They were pretty quick! If my paddling/turning skills were better, of if my kayak would have had a rudder, I would have been able to catch them and join their group. But they kept heading west and my group was heading east, so I had to part ways and quickly catch up to everyone else.
After a quick lunch Jay and I loaded the 3 kayaks onto the trailer and hopped back into to ours and set off across the bay once again, but instead of heading west, we veered off to the east. There wasn't a ton of wildlife today, so we enjoyed some great conversation about a multitude of topics. I practiced my skills and did get a little brave and tried some new maneuvers, but was still a bit hesitant to see how far I could lean before going for a swim. Not that I mind swimming, but I really didn't want to put all that effort into figuring out which of the 2 dozen ways I can reenter a kayak from water over my head. Especially since I've slacked off, for several months, in doing pushups to build upper body strength. One little factoid I found interesting, is that kayaking is one of the best exercises that you can do, as it utilizes so many of your core muscles, and if you paddle properly, your legs as well as your upper body and torso. In fact, Jay stated that he kayaks 12 months out of the year. Now, dragging your gear a mile offshore in the middle of winter to find open water and the risks that that would bring are not really appealing to me. But, with proper experience and gear, it might be pretty enjoyable and scenic to paddle during the ice breakup with icebergs floating all around you. But, with swift currents and large ice floes I don't think this is something that I should try just yet...but someday.
Here' we are paddling up to Government Island. There's a couple of campgrounds on the island, of course, you need to get yourself and your gear here by kayak, canoe or boat. But, it's rather nice and would consider camping here, if I had camping equipment that is...someday I will. Another highlight is straight ahead in this photo, the second tallest tree from the right that is topped, has a huge Osprey nest!
Here's a close up of the nest (as good as I can get with my water camera, I would never trust my Nikon on the water). As I sat there looking at the nest, one of it's residents flew into a nearby tree! And later, paddling back, the osprey flew overhead and off toward another island.

Once ashore on Government Island, Jay led me on a short little hike where we saw a few wildflowers, lichen and this interesting tree! If memory serves me correctly, I think it was a white cedar. It was quite tall and interesting and I just couldn't resist temptation......

so, I climbed it! Well, not too far. I got as high as I could as the large branches could support me. I would have gone higher if the large branches would have continued. It brought back many happy childhood memories of climbing trees (I was able to go much higher back then) and then jumping out of them 15-20 feet off of the ground! I figured being over 40 I hadn't better tempt fate too much, so I stood back up and very carefully went back down the same route I had taken up. I think guide Jay was pretty surprised to see me swiftly ambling up the tree without giving it a second thought. I bet the next time he's back on Government Island by himself that he climbs it!
So, after our little nature hike, Jay determined that we had better start heading back to Cedarville. A pontoon boat had sought refuge at the same beach that we had left our kayaks and advised us to hold up a few minutes as a squall was coming through. Jay asked how I felt about kayaking in inclement weather and I told him it really didn't bother me. I had a spray skirt and all so it's not like the kayak would fill with water and I felt secure and not fatigued. But the lady in the pontoon boat INSISTED that before we left that we wade out 10-20 feet so we could see beyond the trees....
Um, were glad we did! About 2 minutes later the wind picked up, visibility dropped and the rain was blowing sideways! Jay threw me some sort of spray skirt to put on that had a jacket and hood attached and he grabbed his portable shelter-in-a-bag and ran for the trees to set it up. I just stood there and watched the storm blow by. I'm sure at the first sign of thunder or lightning that I would have been running for that shelter though! In less than 5 minutes the squall had passed and we loaded back into the kayaks (after draining the water out) and started the paddle back.

Here's Jay near Government Island after the squall. We made it to shore about 5pm, after about 6 total miles of paddling for the day. It was a fantastic adventure and I hope to get back up there next year and take some lessons to improve my skill set and learn how to do Eskimo rolls! Yipee!

1 comment:

  1. Great pics. Have vacationed up there for 50 years. However the last pic is not Govt. island, there are no docks on Govt. island, you have to beach your boat on the shore. That is the north side of Coryell Island.

    ReplyDelete