Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mission: Mackinac Bridge Walk, North Tower

Somewhere around 8 am, I was approaching the North Tower of the Mackinac Bridge. I turned around to see if the crowd behind was thinning...nope, thousands of folks still were hot on my heels, and the buses kept bringing over thousands more! What I did notice, is that everyone had their happy faces on! Some were quiet, some were chatty, a few were singing. Two gentlemen were using sign language to communicate with each other. I was Michigan fans, State fans, a few from good ol' Ferris State. Lots of Tigers fans, a few Red Wings fans, no Lions fans. I'm guessing that most of the participants were from Michigan. But, perhaps some from other states and possibly from other countries (most likely Canada) as well. Most were dressed for the weather and wearing casual clothes, I saw 2 gentlemen that were wearing dress pants, white shirts and ties. Some had on "costumes" or silly hats, those made me laugh! Many were by themselves, most were in small groups of 2-5, and a few large groups here and there. Some were tall, some short. Some were elderly, most were 20-60 I'm guessing. I did see 1 newborn and several dozen youngsters under the age of 3 or 4 (most of them that were walking had on a "leash"), I did not see any pets.


There were babes in strollers, handicapped folks in wheelchairs , 1 person on a scooter, 1 man  pushing a wheelchair with no one in it! I didn't ask . I saw several handicapped individuals who were  walking with great difficulty, I made it a point to tell them "great job" and keep walking. Seeing  them conquering 5 miles with a physical ailment and  their courage to do this really made me stop and  reevaluate my fears and worries and how insignificant  they are in the bigger scope of things. It seemed like a good time to thank God for bestowing so many blessings on me and my friends and family. It was a great time to think and just enjoy life and to be thankful for everything and everyone in my life.


Here's the view of nearly directly beneath the north side of the North Tower. You just really can not appreciate the size of them until you have a few moments to check them out up close!

 Looking back as I approached the center of the bridge as I felt it start to shift eastward as another large gust of wind passed through the Straits.
At the center was the first time I noticed this little red light. I'm not sure really what it was for. It was about 4 foot above the roadway.


I had forgotten to mention one item I was surprised to see on the bridge, let alone 3 times....road kill! Birds. All at different spots, pretty much unidentifiable. I thought it rather odd and unexpected.
I also spotted this anemometer to measure wind speed. I assume there are several of these placed strategically, but this is the only one that I noticed.

And one last look at the North Tower for good measure.

No comments:

Post a Comment