Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mission: Mackinac Bridge Walk...The Ride Back

After receiving my certificate and get it stamped, I headed through town to locate my transportation back to St. Ignace. And believe it or not, I only stopped in one store! Signage here, again, was very clear. I will say that I found it to be a very organized event!






After paying $5 to board the bus, I figured it
would be a quick 15 minute trip back across. Not so much. And I thought it was a bit humorous that there needed to be a sign warning motorists that there was droves of people walking in their direction......











...like it wasn't obvious??!! It was now, well after 10am, and they had limited the walkers to just one lane on the bridge as opposed to two lanes a few hours earlier. The following day it was reported that approximately 36,000 people had completed the walk. And from what I understand, that is lower than average!
 As I looked out the bus window, I searched the crowd for my friend, Sharon. Impossible, it would be easier to find Waldo! But it was interesting, nonetheless. Some folks waved with enthusiasm, most just kept moving forward.
I noticed this young man was NOT going to be denied his chance at walking on the grate just because he got a late start. A National Guardsman quickly approached him and strongly suggested that he continue on the pavement instead.


 And the crowds were seemingly endless! It was now just a few minutes before 11 am!
 One of the last folks called themselves "trolls". I figured it to be a local thing. I finally got off the bus and made it to my car by 11:30, I was certainly glad that I had arranged for a late checkout! I hadn't expected the ride back to take nearly as long as it did.
After a hurried bite to eat, I headed south on I 75 crossing the Mackinac Bridge for the third time that day and witnessed the last of the last just beginning their trek.


MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

No comments:

Post a Comment