Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Mission: Mackinac Bridge Walk..Early Bird Gets there First

Monday, September 5,2011...commonly known here in the USA as Labor Day. For me, this Labor Day, was not about celebrating unions and organized labor (I guess it never has been), nor was it about completing some massive project at home, nor vacationing (although I guess technically I was on a "mini" vacation), nor was it about getting together with family and friends for a cookout. Today was about conquering a fear I have struggled with for nearly 4 decades. From early childhood, I have had gephyrophobia, a fear of bridges. Mainly tall open bridges. Street level bridges through town don't bother me at all, but something about being elevated high above a large body of water is just something that I would prefer to avoid at all costs. I walked the Blue Water Bridge across to Canada in the 70's with the Girl Scouts, once. It was not at all an enjoyable experience.

For years I was not able to even drive across the Blue Water Bridge, let alone the Mackinac Bridge, and would either have to close my eyes and breathe deeply or distract myself in other ways. My friend Carolyn would keep me busy with scratch off lottery tickets for our occasional jaunts to Sarnia! But, in January of 2008, that all changed. While on vacation in coastal South Carolina and Georgia, I was unexpectedly challenged with not one, but two, large bridges. The first was the Sidney Lanier Bridge that I suddenly found myself on while on route to Jekyll Island from St. Simon's Island. I know, I know, it's an island what did I expect! Unfortunately, I didn't realize I was heading there on THIS bridge until it was too late to turn around. Ditto for the Arthur Ravanel Bridge in Charleston. Lots of deep breaths and white knuckle steering got me over it. So I began to wonder, could my fears be conquered? So, I set a plan. In June 2009, I went to Niagara Falls, Ontario for a long weekend. And I did not chicken out by driving down to Marine City to take the ferry over to Canada, but rather drove the Blue Water Bridge, and in fact was ok with the fact that I was stuck in traffic for the better part of an hour, high above the St. Clair River. So, my next challenge was if I could navigate the Mackinac Bridge. And in July 2010, on the way to Isle Royale, I did just that! Now, I wasn't calm at all going across and to be frankly honest I was terrified the whole 5 miles and it was all I could do to stay calm and not cry, and no, I am not a crybaby and it really takes a lot to get me to that point! The trip home was actually....enjoyable! So, I began to think, perhaps, maybe I had this gephyrophobia thing in the bag. I figured there was only one way to find out for sure....WALK the Mackinac Bridge on the only day of the year it is permitted, Labor Day. So, almost a year before I took those first physical steps across, I began to plan.

The night before, I filled by backpack up with
anything that I might possibly need for my trek. It was pretty light, mainly water, a few snacks and rain gear and whatnot. Since there would be no restroom facilities for those 5 miles I took care not to be drinking a lot of water until I was pretty much done. And if I was to do this, I was going to do it right. I would be one of the very first (or so I thought) people there! Which meant getting up about 5:15 am to be at the buses (which shuttled walkers to nearly the foot of the bridge to eliminate vehicle congestion) in St. Ignace. I arrived there at 6am and boarded the 1st bus!

Of course I was excited! Yes, even at 6 am! But it was going to be a chilly start, it was only in the mid-40's and a wind of about 15-20 mph was gusting in from the north...brrrrrrr. Somehow, I didn't think to bring a jacket with me....fortunately, I found a fleece zip up in my Durango and I pulled out my rain gear as the fabric actually works as a pretty good wind blocker. I was set.


The buses unloaded at the viewing area to the west of the toll booths. Being that I neglected to go down there after dark for some bridge photos, I decided it would be a perfect time to take a few moments to photograph the bridge all light up. Unfortunately, I did not think to pack my monopod into my backpack, so I had to improvise using a large rock.

After some photos, I began to follow the masses of people who were being unloaded off of the many buses that were starting to unload in the park. The folks from the Bridge Authority were very good at proper signage with flashing lights and so forth to point the way to the starting line.
I turned to my right to see the flood of headlights coming toward St. Ignace on the bridge from the Lower Peninsula. It was rather impressive.
Upon reaching I 75 and the toll booths, Michigan State Policemen and National Guardsmen made the crowd stop until a large group was amassed and traffic was halted to allow us to cross.









After crossing the freeway, I spotted a bunch of folks in Rick Snyder (Michigan's governor) t-shirts. Traditionally, the Governor is the first person to walk (or some fit Governors actually run or jog) across. My bet was that he was a walker. I thought hmmmm..how cool would that be to meet the Gov & walk with his group. So, I inquired....uh no, you have to be "invited". Apparently paying an obscene amount in income, property, and sales tax to the state do not automatically qualify one to be "invited". So, I left their little party and went around the bend and stood amongst the hoards of people.

Not really knowing what to expect, I chatted with those around me, it's not like anyone could move. We were all just squished together, like at a concert a sporting event when a few thousand people are trying to get to the same spot and the gateway is only 4 feet wide. It was about 6:50ish am when we started to hear voices being broadcast from the front. I think at one time I heard them announce the Lt. Governor. But I really can't be sure, the sound quality was horrible and echoy and its not like you could hear a pin drop with a few thousand people in such a small area. I really couldn't see either, this is when being short REALLY is not an advantage, so I stood on my tiptoes and raised my camera as high as I could & snapped a few photos. I have absolutely no clue as to who the guy on stage was. I thought getting up at 5:15 would get me a front row view. I guessed wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment