Saturday, April 9, 2011

Arikok National Park, Part 2

 After going over a large hill, we found ourselves at the east end of Aruba in Arikok National Park. After descending some very rickety looking (but stable) stairs, we found ourselves on a beach with very rough waves coming in. The noise from the crashing waves on the surrounding rocks and reef were deafening. We made sure to heed the warning not to swim here, it was MUCH too rough and we would have been absolutely pounded! I was very disappointed though at the amount of litter on the beach. And by litter, I'm talking a suitcase, bottles, cardboard, shoes...apparently it washes over from Bonaire and Caracau, so we were told. It reminded me of that Tom Hanks movie where the plane crashes and he's stranded and the contents of the plane is washed ashore. It's too bad the locals don't have an "adopt a beach" society and keep it like it should be!
I found this ghost crab scurrying along the sand, I think he was a little puzzled by me as all of a sudden his eye stalks went straight up and then went out to the side parallel to the ground! I was so surprised I screamed and wasn't able to get a pic of that! I figured he was telling me to move on!
There was a really big rock only a few feet into the water so I sent Ellie out figuring it would make a nice photo-op, I was so busy snapping away that I forgot to warn her of an incoming wave! The next photo was pretty funny with her shocked expression!





I picked a higher spot on the
rock to sit, but it was a bit slick
getting up there and back down.

No comments:

Post a Comment