Monday, February 6, 2012

Stockyards City

My last day in Oklahoma I got up early to go explore The Stockyards. I really had no idea exactly what to expect...real animals, wild west town, tourist trap, so I could stay as short or as long, within reason as I did have other things on my agenda, as I wanted. The exit was fairly well marked and occasionally I found signs to lead me to my destination.
 What I found it to be was "old town" Oklahoma City, established in 1910. Quiet, convenient parking, safe, secure and very friendly! I did feel a little out of place however, wearing hiking boots rather than cowboy boots. Didn't think to pack those! There were all sorts of shops in this two block section of Oklahoma City, an old Rexall drug store (yes I had a look), Cattlemen's, National Saddlery, Western Wear (apparel), Langstons (definitely cowboy territory), and lots of little stores selling collectibles and authentic American Indian jewelery and knickknacks.



I absolutely loved the smell of leather that hit me as soon as I walked in the door of the National Saddlery. I was intrigued at the number and styles of saddles and bridles at this store! And also flashy outfits for the owners as well.

This fancy saddle retailed for $8,175. I did see one that was even more expensive, but this one was flashier! Apparently this is not your everyday "I'm goin' out to round up the herd" type of saddle.

 I can't remember which store had this as the
 handle , but I found it on the unique side.



Upon walking in to Western Wear, I stopped to chat with this 73 year old cowboy/rancher who was having his boots conditioned. I guess sort of like a pedicure for cowboys! He  was a rather chatty cowboy who had never smoked, nor used drugs and was only drunk once as a teen (his momma took him behind the shed and expressed her extreme disappointment...that cured him). His father died in his 50's due to lung cancer, but nearly everyone else in his family lived to be nearly 100! 

After getting the lowdown on how to properly care for your boots, and the importance of good, clean living, I excused myself to check out the selection of goods in the store. Who knew there could be one store with so many sizes and styles of Wranglers, bandannas and boots and hats! 
The store next door also had quite the selection of cowboy boots. I suppose if you want to dress like a cowboy, Stockyards City might just be the best place to get outfitted!

And hats, you can't forget the hats! Hmmmm, hero or villain style?




Enough with shopping, no I didn't buy any boots or hats or any other apparel, time was ticking away and I had to still actually explore the "stockyard" section of town.
Unfortunately, nothing happens here on Fridays. If memory serves me correctly, early in the week is when all the action happens with the livestock auctions and one can actually get tours on those days. I think it would be something to see. The vast majority of the pens were vacant except for a few scattered hogs here and there.


No comments:

Post a Comment