Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cowtown!

Before leaving Wichita, Michelle, Katie and I decided to check out Cowtown. I really had no idea what to expect, but if any of you have been to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, it would be very similar but with a Wild West theme! The "theme" for the month was "The County Fair". So, you have a representation of a frontier town from the oh...late 1800's but the "fair" was in town.

Folks in period clothing strolled the streets and acted in the manner that was era-appropriate. This man was a camp cook for a cattle (or other animal) drive.

And what would a County Fair be without livestock?
This flour bag swing was just too much temptation for this young visitor to ignore!


Women in their finest strolling through town to pick up needed supplies.


Of course, I did have to examine the Apothecary shop!

This woman sat in the front window of one of the stores sewing lids for jars.
There was a rumor that there was a Long Horn on the back forty. So, I passed through a baseball game (play was stopped as they changed positions) and wandered back to the barns to see for myself!
Apparently, the steer was interested in meeting me as well.

He passed me then checked me out from a distance. A few minutes into our stare down, he started to flare his nostrils and paw at the ground and began to trot to my location. He won. I didn't want to upset him anymore than I already had.
So, I located Michelle and Katie and Michelle demonstrated for me the proper way to make friends with livestock!

No comments:

Post a Comment