Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Here's the Church, Here's the Steeple, Open the Trap Door and See the.....

Monday, October 10th was an absolutely beautiful sunny, cloudless day in Kansas! So, my cousin Michelle, her friend Marcella and I decided to go out exploring, with our cameras of course. We stopped to view our first destination, St. Michael's Catholic Church in Kimeo from a distance, but Michelle was a bit disappointed to learn that instead of practicing my composure of a faraway church, I was more into the fence posts....again.
St. Michael's was established as a congregation in 1870, but this particular house of worship was erected in 1870.

 It was a nice church and all, well maintained, but not super interesting.
When my surroundings do not immediately interest me, but I don't have the freedom to leave, I begin to explore. THAT'S when things get interesting! Usually quite quickly! I said to Michelle, "I wonder what's under those doors?". This piqued her interest and she was a good sport to give them a lift to see!

 Here she is...carefully opening it back...(these two photo's were a reenactment...sorry, I didn't think we would really have anything of interest).
After lifting, the lid, we looked down the hole...nothing much. And then I said " Huh, look at that piece of black caulking....it almost looks like a snake! hahaha". Marcella screamed loudly that it WAS a snake! EEEEEEKKKKK!!!! Michelle QUICKLY dropped the lid to the cellar! (What a rude awakening to the snake, he most likely suffered permanent hearing loss!!!).

After Marcella had ran from the area screaming, I said to Michelle..."Hey, can you lift that up again so I can get some more pictures?". Oh yeah! Up went the lid as I squatted at the edge of the opening leaning toward the snake, but being VERY careful not to fall in the hole. This was probably not the smartest idea I ever had....fortunately, it was only (I found this out weeks later) a Western Rat Snake and not anything poisonous that could/would have lunged at me to strike!
We must have disturbed him for about 5 minutes or so when he decided to travel down the wall into the depths of the basement of the church. Michelle had a stick that she began to clear cobwebs out of his way but this caused him to lose his grip and he made it to the bottom a bit faster than I believe he intended.

We watched to make sure he was ok...he slithered away into the darkness cobweb and all! SLAM went the cellar door as we went to locate Marcella.

No comments:

Post a Comment