Saturday, February 20, 2010

Who..who..who.. are you?!

While I was visiting Aunt MaryAnn and Donna, Jim & the kids they told me of the havoc the owls were causing for the outdoor sports at the school. Seriously? What "problems" can owls cause??? They rid you of vermin and insects! Not so in south Florida. The Burrowing Owl is protected in Florida and therefore...where it burrows is sacred ground. Unfortunately for the sports field of St. Bernadette's...its now home. So while at the school carnival, Emily and her friends volunteered to take me to see this trouble-causing owl. I expected to see a whole field of the critters...instead, I was led to a 3x3 fenced off area smack dab in the middle of the field! Never did I think I would get THIS close! Really...not using any zoom! He was just standing there in front of the entrance to his abode looking at me like..who the heck are you?!


So..we just watched very quietly for a few minutes....hoping to see something spectacular from this 8 inch tall owl. Instead we just pretty much had a stare down. The kids were quite surprised at its calmness...they say it usually hisses.











He didn't look like he intended on retreating to his burrow anytime soon....













Finally...something spooked him and he took several retreating steps...time to leave.





No comments:

Post a Comment