Saturday, February 20, 2010

Scrub Ridge Trail in Merritt Island NWR


On Monday, I decided to take a mile hike thru the scrub
(which is prime habitat for the endangered Florida Scrub Jay) on Scrub Ridge Trail. I was in search of the elusive jay among other critters, hopefully I wouldn't encounter any gators! Another (loud) group of hikers pulled up at the same time....I made sure I started the loop trail from the OPPOSITE direction!






I didn't see a whole lot on the first part...a Belted Kingfisher, some Turkey Vultures circling overhead..but I could hear the other group approaching. I saw many dead palms along the last half of the trail..some had large holes in them...???nests?? or victim of woodpeckers??? I had asked the noisy group if they saw anything..NO they replied.
After they passed...I saw a Palm Warbler AND as I approached the parking lot....



4 Florida Scrub Jays hopped out of the brush & began chirping & jumping about my feet!! The other group had been so noisy they hadn't even see them!















No comments:

Post a Comment