Saturday, February 20, 2010

Cute Little Armadillos


On Monday February 8th I ventured slightly north to Canaveral national Seashore. I found several 9-banded armadillos throughout the day. Cute little buggers!








This one was different though...I found him near the parking lot to the visitors center..I took a shining to him...maybe it was because he was the very first one I got to see up close! I watched from a safe distance as he foraged...never paying the slightest bit of attention to me...He started to come closer and closer and that's when I noticed the anomaly on his head. Between his eyes there was a large reddish raised area...perhaps a hemangioma or something....not sure what it was but I did not see it on any other armadillos! Hope he's ok!











He soon began foraging only a few feet from me..I decided to retreat to my car, I didn't want to trample his lunch...or be trampled either!











2 comments:

  1. Cute pics! :) Glad you kept your distance... I heard they carry leprosy! haha (We saw a couple live ones in Alabama... had only seen them on the side of the road before that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are not only cute, they are biologically magnificient ... 65 million years old. For those whose interest in armadillos was piqued, you might want to check out my recent book on armadillos. See http://dillos.us

    W. R. Klemm, D.V.M.

    ReplyDelete