Saturday, February 27, 2010

Shorebirds at Canaveral National Seashore





After getting some well deserved rest..I slept in (until 9) and headed a little north to Canaveral National Seashore to see what it offered. It was rather windy as evidenced by the feathers on this Royal Tern!








I found Apollo Beach to be on the quiet side without much activity. But, on a warm, calm day I bet its loaded!

































This was a hard one....rather than drop my Sibley's in the sand (again) I just decided to take a photo of this little guy to figure out later. The verdict.....a Ruddy Turnstone!







I was told this is a Sanderling....he was VERY busy..CONSTANTLY chasing the wave out to feed on critters in the wet sand just brought in on the wave, then waiting until the last moment to run back to the safety of the dry sand just out of the wave's reach! Was quite interesting to see!





And on the way back to the car on the other side of the scrub a Cardinal was singing to me!








No comments:

Post a Comment