Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Paddle: Shad Landing


On Thursday October 7th, the kayaks and gear were loaded for the last time of the trip. Our original paddle was to go from Chincoteague across the inlet to a beach on Assateague Island at Tom's Cove. Mother Nature once again prevailed and instead of a beach day looking for sea critters in a seine net, we had to head back to Maryland and the Pokomoke River as the current, tide and wind at the intended site would make for a miserable paddle.






The paddle on the Pokomoke would prove to be a nice wide water trail at Shad Landing on Corker's Creek. The weather there was terrific! Bright and sunny, hardly a breeze!










So, we quickly got prepared, loaded the kayaks and waited to be pushed off by Mark and Maggie.




I 'm not going to lie, I was VERY disappointed that we weren't going to the beach....BUT when I started seeing wildlife like Red-Bellied Turtles sunning themselves...I quickly forgot about the beach! I was determined to get VERY close! But, usually when I did....they felt I was invading their space and slid into for the water, I need to practice stalking wildlife in a kayak!




The water was quite clean, but all the tannins gave it a brown appearance.







Here's some of the group taking a rest while Maggie and Mark give us an impromptu lecture on the trees of the area.




























Another red-bellied turtle!















It was a very enjoyable paddle and even though I missed playing in the sand, I did stretch out on the dock after eating lunch to sun myself a little...if it's good for the turtles it's gotta be good for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment