Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Assateague Island National Seashore...Maryland

The weather forecast for October 3rd was not very promising! Very overcast, heavy rain at times, constant drizzle in times that rain was not heavy...damp and wet. YUCK! However, this could possibly be the only day I would be able to see the wild ponies of Assateague Island. And there were 3 hiking trails in the Maryland district, and a nice bike path. I had planned to do all of that, and to check out the brand spankin' new visitor center (it opened the previous day)! So, I arrived at the visitor center at 9am sharp, checked out their exhibits, got maps, asked about the ponies, and of course, had my journal stamped and bought plenty of souvenirs and gifts! As with all wildlife, they really couldn't tell me where exactly the ponies would be, but assured me that they are more plentiful and more accessible in this district and I would most likely see one! So, I hopped in the car....drove over the bridge....

and was promptly greeted by one of the wild ponies! Gee....how EASY was that?!










Well, of course I had to stop and hold up traffic! This was not the perfect background scenery that I had imagined....but good grief, I didn't even get out of my car! Just rolled down the window (and put my hazard lights on) and clicked away!
Pretty nice not to have to use the zoom!


So, then I started talking to it...yah that's right...the nature whisperer! And, I was rewarded by him looking up right at me! After that awesome nature moment, I realized there now were a few cars behind me and I figured I had better move on and let them have a nature moment too!

Next stop was the Life of the Marsh Nature Trail...since the skies looked menacing, I decided to put on my raingear. (Sure glad I did) And at the end of the boardwalk, I observed a gull eating a crab! He must have thought I was eyeing his dinner because he would drag it further away every time I looked in his direction!
And in the other direction, a band of 4 ponies! (click photo to enlarge for a better view). And no, the ponies did not come from a shipwrecked Spanish galleon, but rather early residents would keep their livestock on the barrier islands to avoid paying taxes on their herds.


Next up was Life of the Forest Nature Trail....was a nice trail cushioned with pine needles.







Saw a lone white egret...not much else, everyone apparently was looking for shelter...






And then it got really dark, and the wind picked up....and the rain began to fall...very steadily.






I had planned on hiking Life of the Dunes Nature Trail, but I wasn't going to get soaked putting on my sandals, and wet sand + leather hiking boots = a big gross mess! So, I took a quick walk over the dune to the seashore by way of an elevated walkway. It was interesting..the combination of an angry loud crashing surf, dark skies, a beach devoid of any people or critters, and pony tracks in the sand! This would be a great place to explore more in better weather!!! Now, back into the car for the hour + drive to the Virginia district.

No comments:

Post a Comment