Friday, December 10, 2010

Paddle: Mosquito and Cockle Creeks



On the morning of October 6th, we
departed for a morning paddle nearby on Mosquito Creek and Cockle Creek. It took us longer to get unloaded than to drive there as the private dock is only on the other side of the Navy base next to the NASA visitor center.



As we were preparing, we noticed an E 2C Hawkeye practicing touch and go's on the landing strip at Wallops. It was neat to see a plane this close! I have a feeling they were taking bets as to how many rotations it would take them to make before we got in the kayaks...all I can say was I had many chances to take photo's...and in fact I even waved a time or two...

Bobbie was trying out a single kayak today, so Linda was with me. It was a pretty sunny day, but a bit windy and chilly so best to bundle up, I guess I didn't need to pack my swimsuit and shorts after all.






Ailene and Bruce gracefully paddling along.








After making a turn into a wider part of the creek, we came along this warning...I stayed far far away from land.






Here's Bobbie enjoying floating after yesterday's rough paddle!









Guide Mark kept us away from shore and the explosion area!








Wow! Does it get better than this? I wish I would have started kayaking years ago!








We discovered some oyster beds that some local watermen had anchored for cultivation. I tried to peek in for a closer look, but I couldn't get close enough unless I wanted to go for a swim...not.





After a while another similar plane started to circle, a C 2COD according to neighbor Jim, and was also practicing take-off's and landings. They seemed to practice forever, I wonder if they ever get bored? Anyway, was a very pleasant paddle and the water conditions were great!

No comments:

Post a Comment