Monday, July 12, 2010

McGulpin Point Hike

While peering out the windows at the top of McGulpin Point Lighthouse...I kept gazing into the lush green forested area below and wondered what treasures it held. Fortunately, my cousins also share the passion for adventure and nature...so we took the steep path to find out! Mike always seemed to be a bit ahead of us...something that would come back to bite him in the rear later in the day on another trail!


It wasn't too terribly long of a trail, but very dark with the shade provided by the lofty trees, and rather still....no birdwatching here.




As quickly as the mini-forest started, it abruptly ended and we were treated to the view of Lake Michigan and the Mackinaw Bridge that had eluded us in the lighthouse.
Was a very still,cool and foggy considering it was lunchtime...
...but yet somehow, the heavy fog and low clouds created a very peaceful place to ponder life's little questions... like I wonder where this particular rock came from and how it came to be exactly here?



We continued our hike westward on the rocky shores of Lake Michigan only to come across the remains of Crayfish and perhaps some type of crab!




Within a 2 square foot area we found remnants of life from the lake. All of a sudden one of us would squeal.."ohhhh look at THIS"!



Now, I'm not normally this excited about dead critters...but the peaceful environment allowed my mind to relax and be more open to all of the facets of nature...besides...I suppose I might rather see it dead than climbing up my boot! EEK!


Mike was so interested he actually scooped up a lot of the pieces and put them into a makeshift envelope. Hmm...in the future better make that part of my standard equipment for my daypack...just in case...

No comments:

Post a Comment