Monday, July 12, 2010

Hike...The Headlands

Just a few miles west of Mackinaw City
we found an eclectic group of trails called the Headlands. There were about 4 miles of fairly easy trails through open meadows and forested areas. To do all the trails, you sometimes had to repeat one part to get to another section, but...thats ok I guess. One of my favorite sections was Orchard Trail through this meadow. There were lots of butterflies flitting about and one bird in
particular kept eluding me. I first heard its song echo through the woods, it sounded flutish but a song or quality that I had never heard before. As we hiked though the meadow, it became more frequent and closer, but I was never able to spot it in the trees with my binoculars. It became VERY frustrating to me...but a brainstorm came and I remembered that I have a voice memo function on my phone...so I whipped it out and recorded its sweet song to investigate later. After listening to a few hundred bird songs on the Internet....the closest match I could find was the White-Throated Sparrow. Now...the tune was pretty much the same...but this bird had much better pipes! I hope to hear it again someday and better yet see the tiny bird that sang such a melody!

At the end of the meadow, we spotted a Hairy Woodpecker near this tree. I wondered if he was the responsible party for these large holes.....were they big because there was a great bug buffet...or was it an entrance to a nesting site? Oh how I would have loved to climb up there and find out....but its been a few decades since my tree-climbing days and I'm sure my skills are quite rusty...besides, I don't think my knees can handle the impact of leaping off of a 30 foot high branch anymore!



In the wooded area of the hike (where Mike got lost because he kept on when we would stop....he eventually found us) there was a stand of really interesting ferns....




...its shape reminded me of those big plastic things at the malls where you roll a coin and it goes 'round and 'round and 'round until it hits the bottom and vanishes forever. I wonder whats at the very bottom here? No way I'm sticking my hand in though!


No comments:

Post a Comment