Friday, August 19, 2011

Welcome to Mackinac Island!

 Alyssa and I left Mackinac City on the 12 o'clock Arnold Ferry bound for Mackinac Island. It has been nearly 20 years since I'd been here, and never overnight, so to say I was excited was an understatement! I just love Round Island Lighthouse so I made sure that I sat on the left side of the ferry on the way over so that I could photograph it as best as I could! Perhaps one day they will open it for climbing.....I'll definitely be game for that one! Or perhaps...someday....maybe I could kayak over to Round Island for a closer look!
Here we are, almost to the docks, Mission Point Resort and St. Anne's Church in the background.
We actually got to cruise right past St. Anne's!
We quickly unloaded and made haste to unload our bags at the place I had made our reservations, Hart's. It was difficult to say the least, to find lodging for just one night on a summer weekend. Nearly all had a 2 night minimum stay requirement. Given our travel plans and my work schedule, only 1 night on the island was possible. When we checked in, the lady was having great difficulty finding our reservation, which is exactly why I reconfirm everything 3-4 days prior to leaving on vacation. I provided her with names and dates and times of all to whom I had spoken. "Oh", she replied, "I think you have a room next door". I took a deep breath and really tried not to show my irritation....I had just spent 3 nights in an ant-infested housekeeping cottage with a matress that I am quite sure was made of concrete! Evidently in the winter months, their neighbors take the reservations and had chosen to keep me at their establishment.

Well, imagine my surprise when I was led to this beautiful B&B, Metivier Inn, and was told this is where I would be spending the night! It was one of the more charming places that I have ever stayed! A luxury that I most likely wouldn't have indulged on! I felt so spoiled! And the mattress.....was heavenly! No cement here tonight under this body! It would have been nice to sit on the front porch and relax a bit....but...we had to go explore!!!!! And explore we did!


No comments:

Post a Comment