Sunday, August 7, 2011

Adieu to Mike

 Before 10am, we had reached Mackinac City and I realized that I had absolutely no clue as to where to drop Mike off to meet the rest of the Boy Scouts. All I knew is, the meeting spot was on the main drag near the Arnold Dock, after Mike made some phone calls to the Scoutmaster, I located the large parking area behind one of the hotels. Now what?! Boy scouts and parents were scattered here and there, without much organization or even excited anticipated looks or frenzy, kind of ho-humish. Perhaps that's just how I roll and these folks are just a whole lot more laid back than I am. Regardless, after 15 minutes of watching folks just hang out, I decided the best plan of action would be to get Mike unloaded, and Alyssa and I would drive across the street, park the car and purchase our ferry tickets.  

By the time we got back, Mike had eaten his lunch and folks were just standing idle. About 1/2 hour later, trucks with large trailers began to pull in the lot. Unloading was to begin. As with any group, apparently the Boy Scouts are no different, there are 3 types of folk: leaders, those who follow/take orders, and those who are bystanders. Now in this group of about 60 boys, there were about 4 of them who were the do'ers, 8-12 who were the followers, the rest sort of milled about, sometimes looking busy. I found that it was VERY difficult for me to watch the few people really bust butt and get the truck unloaded without just going up and helping. I felt like I would get in trouble or something if I attempted to help, and it sort of disturbed me to see the others just casually milling about.




Here's some of the hard workers unloading the seemingly endless parade of suitcases, duffel bags, crates and boxes of food off of the main trailer. In addition to personal items that 60+ boys and a dozen adult leaders will need for the week, they also need to bring over a week's worth of food!

The left side of this cart....is all bread! Loaves of bread, hot dog and hamburger buns. I've only seen this many bread products on the shelves of a well-stocked grocery store! And gallons and gallons of milk and juice too!

After all of the carts were loaded, they

 broke into small groups...I figured this is when Alyssa and I should leave them to their Boy Scout duties. So, we walked across the street, checked our luggage, ate our lunch and waited for the 12:00 ferry over to Mackinac Island. All of a sudden without warning, we looked up and saw of sea of Boy Scouts headed our way!


I had thought that we would be on the same ferry, but they actually departed on the next one. We said our goodbyes and would catch up with him in a few hours or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment