Thursday, May 5, 2011

Screams at the Ostrich Farm!

It was now Thursday afternoon, and our bellies were full from a lunch of chicken legs, ribs, rice and beans at "Best Pizza". I'm still trying to figure out why if they had the best pizza, why were we not served pizza?! Anyway, still soaking wet from snorkeling at Baby Beach, I decided to air dry and spent the rest of the day in my swimsuit and a shirt I wore in the water as to not get sun burnt anymore. That will explain my attire for the rest of the photo's that day!

We arrived at the Ostrich farm and were informed that to get the "full experience" we needed to buy some ostrich food for $2. Oh, why not. So, I was given a large dog food bowl of some sort of oblong food about the size of a good 'n plenty.


Ellie went first....but, the man poured the food directly into her hands! No big deal, and she smiled and was pretty excited.
They were kind of messy eaters as about 1/4 of the food flew out of their mouths and onto the ground.
Ellie enjoyed it so much she felt bad when the food was all gone and seemed to be talking to them!
Now keep in mind, I thought we were feeding them from the bowl! Not our bare hands. Although I was apprehensive, I paid my $2, and it was dinner time. (If you need a good laugh, click on the photo to enlarge so that you can see my facial expressions!). Ok, here they are ready for the first bite....
AAGGGGHHHHHHEEEEE! Or something like that is what came out of my mouth. I wasn't mentally prepared for the downward pressure and the ostriches scraping my hand with their large beaks! It pretty much freaked me out! Didn't bother them though!They just kept eating despite the loud sound that had come from my mouth! Thankfully, he didn't refill the food in my hand!

It looks like I was screaming longer, but I had the camera in burst mode and this only lasted 3-4 seconds!
About 2o minutes later we were given the opportunity to feed them again, but this time with our back to them (so they could take a photo and offer to sell it to you for $10) but from the dog food bowl. Now I was PERFECTLY FINE with this scenario! I even smiled and laughed! And no, my fellow tourists didn't cover their ears in anticipation of me screaming!
Yep, Ellie was diggin' it too!

Bye bye big bird!



No comments:

Post a Comment