Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lizards on the Loose!

One of the afternoons, we had some down time. Ellie checked out the spa, I checked out the local wildlife! There were 3 iguanas that called our resort "home". A big male, I only saw him once (didn't have the camera) and 2 females. Lizardman, a tourist from Philly, decided to enlighten me about all things iguana.


When the tip of their nose turns gray, they are molting. I could tell that she was molting, but I had no clue that her nose color had changed.







Although it looks like the iguana is contemplating jumping off the waterfall and attacking the swimmer below, it is actually using the "facilities". Lizzardman informed me that iguanas only eliminate in running or flowing water, so, they climb up the water feature to go potty. Two nights before, I thought it was sooooo cool to swim under the waterfall...EEEWWWWWWW! I avoided that whole section of the pool after I learned THAT little factoid!


Still, as they lay only a few inches from the edge of the pool, I couldn't help but wonder if they had ever freaked out an unsuspecting swimmer, intentional or not.














Somehow, I even got brave enough to get close enough to use my macro!

No comments:

Post a Comment