Sunday, August 15, 2010

Hike...Hunter's Pointe Trail


Upon arriving back at the marina in Copper Harbor from the boat ride to the lighthouse, I decided to stay parked, grab more water and some snacks and take a leisurely hike on Hunter's Pointe. It was maybe a 2 mile round-trip hike on this peninsula that extends out into Lake Superior creating the calm harbor area of the town. The same harbor I kayaked in the day before.
I decided to take the trail on the north side out...I found it to be quite pleasant, about 75 to 80, very sunny and nice breeze coming off the lake! The north side consisted of beaches with finely polished stones (had to pocket a few favorites) and was later informed that my favorite red-brown stones are most likely chert. I don't really care...I just like them, I think whenever I get back there I will take a whole jarful! It's not a national park therefore...it's not illegal..I think. Can you see how smooth and shiny they are?!





I can go no further in my boots...I REALLY need to make sandals a must pack item in my day pack! Behind me is Porter's Island, my intended paddling destination the previous day....let me tell you, it was easier to walk! But....next time I will make it on water too!


Taking the south side back with views of Copper Harbor I was hoping for some wildlife...birds, critters...black bear was a possibility (one had been out there a few days ago). Maybe it was just as well to have a quiet uneventful hike, certainly safer!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kriste,
    I'm so glad you went out to Hunter's Point. This is one of my favorite spots - I love the rocky landscape and the small red stones. I didn't have a chance to go back when I was in Copper Harbor last year because we got up at 4:30 am to head home. Can't really see much in the dark!

    I'm looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nina! Isle Royale was AWESOME! But it was the had! The terrain was more difficult than I expected...and the heat was horriffic! But I STILL had a great time! I think you chose wisely going more towards fall! I would go early September if I had to do it all over again! More updates soon...so many photos..and stories!

    ReplyDelete