Wednesday, March 10, 2010

T-5.4.3.2.1...and Liftoff of the Space Shuttle Endeavour!


Monday, February 8, 2010....about 4am...this is not me taking a photo with my lens cap on, but rather looking out onto launch pad 39A awaiting the launch of STS-130...Endeavour to the International Space Station! HOW EXCITING! As Mission Control was getting "go" s from all of the stations, I gave myself a "go" after one last cleaning of my lens. I was here and it was GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! YAYYYYYYY! I couldn't hardly contain my enthusiasm, but that was the general consensus of the few dozen folks on the 2nd floor patio of Casa Coquina (my "home" for the next few days). I had thought earlier about returning to my spot from last night....but...all the hassle...the 38 degree night...the possibility of my rental car being sat upon...the pushy people....no bed...sigh...I felt that I could put up with having some power lines in my photo's to avoid all of the other hassles that came with getting a great photo.

At 4:14 am I was the first to spot with my binoculars
and shout out to the crowd..its lit (at least that's what I think I said...it was probably very high pitched and unintelligible but they got the point!).
I apologize for the lit bush in the foreground.. but at least the lights on the Mexican restaurant were OFF! Here directly in the middle you can see a lit up area...that's the lighting of the main engines just before the solid rocket boosters lifted Endeavour off the launch pad! I could have zoomed in...but never seeing a launch I was not sure exactly how fast the shuttle would race towards the sky, and what a shame it would be to cut it off! Besides, my main "goal" was the experience, not a photo essay. Remember you can double click the photo to see it better!


Here you can see the definite glow!














A millisecond later..it was as if the sun was coming up over the horizon!













I was a little surprised at the initial slowness, I expected it to be gone in a blink, not several seconds.






























What an INCREDIBLE experience!










No comments:

Post a Comment