Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Solid Rocket Booster Seperation of STS-130

***Please double click on the images to enlarge them, its VERY hard to see if you don't!***


So, Monday February 8th, 2010 at about 4:16am (2 minutes after liftoff) I was able to see the solid rocket boosters jettison from the space shuttle & external fuel tank! The large white moonish object is actually the flame coming from under the main fuel tank & space shuttle main engines and the small object to the bottom right are the solid rocket boosters (SRB's)!



You could sort of see it with your naked eyes, but binoculars worked best! They were like 2 lit cigars floating to Earth, but as they dimmed the nearly 150 foot tall body of the SRB was not visible, but you could still see the heat being dissipated! Looked like 2 spooky glowing devil eyes is the best way I can describe it!According to NASA info, they were jettisoned at T+2 minutes from launch and were 156,158 feet above Earth travelling at mach 4!










Also, I did find a video on you tube taken from Titusville of the launch, its got awesome sound quality of the sound wave, I only wish that I would have thought to set up my spare camera also and put it on video mode.....but, at 4 am who is really all that coherent with their thoughts!
For the video I found go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0XLxUa_Vsw
its titled Endeavor Launch Feb. 8,2010 by a kdunnaway.



Here's a view of launch pad 39A 12 miles across the Indian River before I headed back in to my nice warm bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment