Sunday, March 28, 2010

Find the Freighter, Part II

Today (March 28th) before work, I decided to go make a quick trip to the banks of the St. Clair River to the Bean Dock where I had information that the Coast Guard Ice Breaker, the Mackinaw, was docked overnight. Not knowing when she would set out for the journey back to Cheboygan I decided that it may be my only chance.

I was in luck! Still there....no one about, I guess they were either all sleeping in after more than a weeks worth of them battling the ice jam or they were off to church. I later found out that it left this afternoon...so I had been lucky to see her!







As you can see, the ice chunks are no longer causing major issues...the ferries are running regularly & the shipping season on the Great Lakes has begun. Across the river is Sarnia's "chemical valley".










That gangplank was sooooo inviting! I would have LOVED to get on that vessel! I probably would have died if I did & it left port!!! Yeeehhaah!
However, they were pretty smart....the area is VERY secured with really tall chain link fence & chains & locks securing the gate. I don't think it would be worth trespassing on federal property, I will just have to settle for taking a tour of the old Mackinaw that is now a museum up North.

No comments:

Post a Comment