Wednesday, November 25, 2009

A Doggone Good Day!

After the thrill of a helicopter ride in the morning,
I got my first real dog sledding experience that afternoon! In Alaska, I went to a kennel, but being it was May...and no snow...we rode on a cart. So, it wasn't all that authentic! But this was! The night before we had several inches of fresh powdery snow that fell..and it was a bit chilly, maybe mid to low 20's, so it was a perfect scenario! I knew it was going to be a great day also because there were several Gray Jay's flying around. Some were even landing on peoples outstretched palms as they had tasty morsels for them to nibble on! (New bird for me :-) )




Anyway, there were a few dozen dogs at Blue Sky Kennels, all cute as can be! Some were resting, a few were shy, some were very excited, but all were very friendly and loving! When it came time to hitch up the dogs....oh my...the commotion! "Pick me..Pick me" I think it what they were all barking! They truly love to run and pull the sled!












We were paired up and all patiently waited our turns, and amused ourselves by chatting, feeding the birds, petting the dogs, and enjoying snacks and hot cocoa in the warming tent. Here's myself, roommate Nancy (Washington) and owner Gerald getting ready to race off into the woods!

Here we are trotting along the snow covered scenic trail!





I don't have any pictures of me coming back into
camp, but here is one of Paul (NewYork) and brother Joe (Pennsylvania) with Gerald and on the sled behind them is Hong and Min from Texas! Whoa little doggies!

And I was surprised at the beautiful sunsets I saw several evenings (around 4pm)! I guess it hadn't entered my mind that the sunsets would be so colorful up there with unobstructed views! A pleasant surprise!


















No comments:

Post a Comment