Friday, March 6, 2009

Hopewell Rocks - the Highest Tides in the World



On my fall vacation last year to New Brunswick, Canada and Maine, I was quite intrigued about the claims of the Bay of Fundy to have the highest tides in the world. I just HAD to check it out! I arrived in Hopewell Cape, New Brunswick on 9-26-08 so that on Saturday I could get to Hopewell Rocks bright and early so that I could see both the high and low tides and get to walk on the ocean floor! It was a pretty dreary day as you can see, the weather was deteriorating as Hurricane Kyle was expected the evening of the following day. Oh well, that's why I have rain gear! :-) This photo was taken about 11 am at the height of high tide. Today, that rise was 41 feet (measurement taken about 100 yards further out). As you can see, the arch is nearly full with water (it helped that it was a full moon too)!






After lunch and a bit of hiking on the trails and a visit to Desmoiselles Beach I made it back to the stairway that leads to this particular area about 4pm . As you can clearly see, a large amount of water has receded from the area, and the lowest point was still about 2 hours away!! They say during the summer months in pleasant weather, the area is quite congested.






Once I was on the ocean floor, I turned to document where I had been standing. The water
<----- level today was just a titch higher than this inserted arrow. Wouldn't want to be left behind!







And finally, me, in front of the arch that was nearly full of water. From the sea floor to the top of the open hole is 18 feet!






No comments:

Post a Comment