Friday, March 6, 2009

And You Wonder Why I am Accident Prone



As I am sure you all know, when I get time off work for what most call a vacation, I go on "adventures". A huge part of my adventure is the planning and researching everything and anything that I can possibly fit in until the point of exhaustion. So, on my fall 2008 adventure, I made a 2 night stop on Campobello Island, New Brunswick. Fabulous place! I highly recommend it! One of the "highlights" is the Head Harbor Light on the northern side of the island. Built in 1829 its the 2nd oldest light on the Bay of Fundy and purported to be the most photographed light in all of New Brunswick! But, its only accessible 1 hour each side of low tide. On September 30th, that would have been at sunrise, roughly 7am. I just couldn't miss out on that! So, I got up early & headed out. The locals told me it was an awesome hike, just beware & get back before the tide comes in. This above photo is where the "trail" begins. There is a large white sign about the trek being "risky" (the locals said it was safe) and in the far background you can just make out the top of the lighthouse.

At no time did any one tell me there was 4 large metal stairs anchored to the rocks and the "beach" was actually large boulders covered in slick seaweed! The first and last flight was about 75 steps, and the middle 2 were only about 30. This is BEFORE I trekked across this treacherous terrain, slipping multiple times! I truly pictured a sandy, small stone covered area, similar to Hopewell Rocks (see below story).







I paused for a moment to investigate the seaweed covered rocks and the creatures attached!







After I climbed the 2nd staircase, I had second thoughts. After all, I was by myself and what if I fell and broke something. There was not a sole around to rescue me! Was I crazy? Maybe I should turn around. But, I still had to go back across the boulder field, I might as well press on...also, the view excited me!



This was the view after I crossed the "dry" island and just before descending the 3rd set of stairs. Then it was across another seaweed covered rocky seabed, and a few more stumbles before....a knight in shining armor (actually sandals) approached. Out of nowhere, this young man came scurrying toward me warning me not to step on a certain rock. Apparently he had burned it there moments before & didn't want me to suffer the same fate. I wonder if he saw me durf it all the other times. Anyway, I was VERY grateful for the assistance in the last few feet!




It was a very picturesque lighthouse. I wish I could have gotten into the buildings and climbed to the top, but there isn't always staff present, especially this late in the season.
Another couple arrived shortly after, and I felt this was a sign that I should head back with them in case trouble arose. Yes, I did fall 2 more times..but the bruises were definitely worth the experience! Below is a photo taken from the whale watching cruise I took later that day about 1pm. You can see that the tide has filled in the "trail". The 1st section wouldn't fit in the photo, but you can get the drift. That day, the tide difference was about 19 feet! Glad I got back to dry land!!!















No comments:

Post a Comment