Saturday, January 7, 2012

Lighthouse! Did someone say lighthouse??!!!

I'm not sure if my fascination with visiting lighthouses and climbing them stems from the fact that I live on the shores of Lake Huron, or because of my sailor's blood I take comfort in their beacons, or if it's something else entirely. Regardless, if there is a lighthouse in the vicinity, have no doubt, I WILL find it and I WILL climb to the top (unless I physically can not gain entry). Hmmm, perhaps I need to add bolt cutters to my backpack! Not serious folks, I was just kidding...plus there is NOT room in my backpack for anything else! If you've ever hiked with me, you know this is the honest truth!

So around 11am I started my trek up Cardiff Hill to reach the Mark Twain Memorial Lighthouse. The hill was quite steep, but there were at least steps. 244 of them to be exact! Fortunately I found a squirrel munching on a mid-morning snack and decided to observe him for a bit, and catch my breath as well.


 He munched away for several minutes, never seeming to notice my presence. Suddenly, he stopped munching and looked at me as if he was thinking "Do you mind? Move it along lady!". I took his cue and continued my march upward.
Almost there!!!!

Now usually after a vigorous hike when I reach the destination I feel a sense of accomplishment. I was shocked and also a little irritated to find that there was actually a road that led to the non-navigational monument that I was led to believe was a real lighthouse that was also not meant for public entry. Triple disappointment!


So, I took a moment to view the Mississippi River from the "lighthouse" before descending the 244 steps back to the base of Cardiff Hill. An older couple was just starting their climb as I was finishing and I clued them in about being able to drive up to the "lighthouse", they seemed relieved and turned around to get their car. It was one good way to get a cardio workout in today though!


No comments:

Post a Comment