Thursday, September 24, 2009

My First Airshow


On August 23, Auntie Bee and I went on a day trip to an air show at Selfridge Air National Guard Base. It was my first experience of this nature and I wasn't quite sure what to expect. Well...I did NOT expect rain as just prior to leaving I checked on the computer...0% chance of rain, overcast then clearing. Someone seriously got something mixed up because I am not the proud owner of $50 worth of giant umbrellas! But...at least I stayed dry! To the left is an impressive aerobatic performance by 1 stunt pilot zooming upside down in front of us. As you can see..a cloudburst is looming.


Also performing was stunt pilot Gene Soucy and his girlfriend Theresa Stokes performing as a wing walker! YIKES! You can see her on the right between the wings, just out of the cockpit, and below, in a stand on the top wing!









These 4 aircraft were from the Screamin' Rebels...they were a little loud.

Below, an older Russian MIG 17 (from Top Gun fame) with its afterburner on. It was lightning fast.








There was also a KC135 stratotanker in the air with its refueling nozzle at the ready. We didn't actually get to see a refueling, I suppose that would be a risky maneuver simply for entertainment purposes. But interesting nonetheless. I wish it would have been a bright, cloudless, sunny day...but...I suppose sometimes God has to water the flowers...and the people (those without umbrellas of course)!


No comments:

Post a Comment